I love how much texture this hat has, the way the stitches form a pattern in the hat gives it a classy look. The structure of this stitch makes the hat soft not stiff, making it a great pattern to create a slouchy style hat.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Meaning if you decide to purchase something through one of these links I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you*
For this hat, I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in glacier. This is a chunky yarn level 6, that is 80% wool 20%. You will only need 1 skein of yarn for this hat. The great thing about using chunky yarn is it’s not only super warm but the hat works up quickly as well.
The Seed Stitch Knit Hat Pattern
- The brim of the hat is about 2”. You can increase or decrease the number of rows to either create a thicker or thinner brim.
- The hat is 10” tall, making it slouchy. You can add more rows to the height of the hat to increase the slouch. Or decrease the number of rows if you would like a less slouchy hat.
- You can make this hat in smaller sizes, just make sure you cast on an even number of stitches.
- This pattern is beginner friendly, using knit and purl stitches.
- K2tog means to knit two stitches together.
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick “Glacier”
- 9mm 16″ Circular knitting needles
- 9mm DPN’s
- Stitch Marker
- Yarn Needle
- Optional: Faux Fur Pom Pom
Want to learn to make your own Faux fur poms? Check out my post on how to make your own faux fur pom poms.
Cast on 50 stitches. Join in the round and place stitch marker.
You will now begin to create the brim of the hat.
Rows 1-6: k1, p1 repeat to the end of the round.
Now it is time to start working the body of the hat.
Row 7: p1, k1 repeat to the end of the round
Row 8: p1, k1 repeat to the end of the round
Row 9: k1, p1 repeat to the end of the round
Row 10: k1, p1 repeat to the end of the round
Row 11- 28: Repeat rows 7-10
Now you will begin decreasing.
Row 29: k4, k2tog, Repeat until the last two stitches, k2
Row 30: k each stitch
Row 31: k3, k2tog repeat until the last two stitches, k2
Row 32: k each stitch
Switched to DPN’s or if you do not like to use DPN’s then finish of hat here.
Row 33: k2, k2tog repeat until the last two stitches, k2
Row 34: k1, k2tog repeat until the last two stitches, k2
Row 35: k2tog repeat until the end of the round.
Cut a long tail and weave through the remaining stitches on the needle to close off.
Weave in ends and you’re done! Now you can add a pom pom if you would like.
This pattern is an original pattern by Meg Hardison of The Northern Moose. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. Please do not reprint this pattern on your site. You may keep a copy of the pattern for your own personal use, but please do not sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me Meg Hardison and link back to The Northern Moose Blog. Permission is not granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you for being respectful and for your understanding!