I absolutely love this little heart hat pattern! It is so adorable on babies and toddler. And the great thing about this pattern is you can make it in any colour combination you like, and it will still look cute! The colour combinations are endless! You can even do alternating rows off different colours with the contrast colour.
The picture below shows the hat in the main colour (MC) fig and the contrasting colour (CC) fisherman
*This post may contain affiliate links. Meaning a may earn a small commission if you decide to purchase something through on of my links*
RELATED: How To Make Your Own Fur Pom Poms
Little Hearts Knit Pattern For Toddlers
- This pattern is written in toddler size (1yr-3yr)
- If you would like to make this hat in a bigger or smaller size make sure you are casting on stitches in multiples of 4
- The hat is about 8.5 inches tall. You can add more rows to create a more slouchy hat if you would like.
- The ribbing is about 1.5 inches tall. You can add or subtract rows if you would like thicker or thinner ribbing
- The main colour you choose is abbreviated to MC in the pattern
- The contrasting colour you choose (the colour of the little hearts) is abbreviated to CC
- K2Tog means that you knit two together.
- To bind off, I use the tail and weave it through the remaining stitches on my needle. You can bind off and close the hat how ever you feel comfortable.
- When you are not knitting with the contrasting colour just drop it and pick it back up when you need it. No need to cut it each round.
- 9mm 16″ circular knitting needles
- 9mm DPN’s
- Lion Brand thick and quick two colours.
- Stitch marker
- Optional: pom pom
With the MC cast on 44 stitches
Join in the round and place marker.
Row 1-4: With the MC: K1, P1* repeat till end
Body of the Hat
Row 5: Knit with MC
Row 6: Using colour scheme CC1, MC3, Knit all across.
Row 7-8: Knit with MC
Row 9: K2 with MC, K1 with CC, then use the colour scheme MC3, CC1, knit all across
Row 10-11: Knit with MC
Row 12: Repeat row 6
Row 13-14: Knit with MC
Row 15: Repeat row 9
Row 16-17: Knit with MC
Row 18: Repeat row 6
Row 19-20: Knit with MC
Row 21: Repeat row 9
Row 22-23: Knit with MC
Row 24: Repeat row 6
*The rest of the pattern is knit with the main colour only*
Row 25: Knit
Row 26: (K3, K2Tog,)* Repeat unit 4 stitches remain. Knit last 4 stitches. (36)
Row 27: Knit
*Switch to DPN’s*
Row 28: K2, K2Tog* repeat until end (27)
Row 29: K1, K2Tog* Repeat till end (18)
Row 30: K2Tog til the end (9)
Cut tail long enough to weave through remaining stitches. Pull tail through and close off. Weave in end.
Top of with a pom pom or leave as is.
Check out my post on How To Make Your Own Fur Pom Poms.
This pattern is an original pattern by Meg Hardison of The Northern Moose. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. Please do not reprint this pattern on your site. You may keep a copy of for your own personal use but please do not sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me Meg Hardison and link back to The Northern Moose Blog. Permission is not granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you for being respectful and for your understanding!