Cute and stylish with extra warmth is what you get with a double knit brim hat. The brim of the hat is doubled up adding an extra layer of warmth around your ears, making this hat perfect for those below freezing days!
This pattern is written using worsted weight yarn and includes step by step photo instructions. Once you learn how to knit the double brim you can use any weight of yarn you would like to make these hats.
You can get the inexpensive PDF ad-free version of this pattern on Etsy HERE!
The hat is started by knitting row after row until your piece measures about 8 inches long.
Once you have knitted 8 inches, you will fold the bottom part of the brim up into the top of the brim.
Now that you have the brim folded in half, make sure your stitches are lining up properly. You will now begin to knit the bottom of the brim and the top of the brim together.
This is done by picking up a stitch from the bottom of the brim with your left-hand needle. Once you pick up that stitch you will knit that stitch and the next stitch together. Continue this process until you complete that row.
Now your double brim is complete. You can continue knitting your hat as you would normally.
Double Knit Brim Hat Pattern
- This hat is written for an adult
- The instructions for this hat are written using worsted weight yarn, but you can use other types of yarn. Make sure you adjust the number of stitches you cast on accordingly.
- You can choose to knit your brim in one colour and the body of the hat in another colour. There are endless design possibilities.
- You will be folding the brim in half. However tall you want your completed brim, knit double that length. (ex. The finished brim is 4 inches, knit 8 inches before you fold and knit together the brim)
- The brim is about 4” tall once you fold it over. You can choose to make your brim longer or shorter. Either knit fewer rows or increase the number of rows you knit before you fold the brim.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice
- 5.5mm 16” circular knitting needles
- Stitch marker
- Optional: Pom Pom
- Main colour: MC
- Contrasting Colour: CC
- Knit two together: K2Tog
Written for an adult.
Cast on 77 stitches
Rows 1-42: Knit with MC (about 8 inches in length)
Row 43: Fold the brim in half (inwards). Bringing the bottom of the brim up through the middle of the hat. Knit Pick up the first stitch from the bottom of the brim with your left needle. Knit the first stitch from the bottom of the brim together with the first stitch of the top of the brim.
Row 44-47: Knit with your MC
Row 48: Switch to CC, Knit entire row
Row 49-63: Knit. With CC (until hat is about 7” tall)
BEGIN THE DECREASE. Switch to double pointed needles when your hat becomes too small for your circular needles.
Row 64: *K5, K2Tog *repeat until the end of the row
Row 65: Knit.
Row 66: *K4, K2Tog *repeat until the end of the row
Row 67: Knit.
Row 68: *K3, K2Tog *repeat until the end of the row
Row 69: Knit
Row 70: *K2, K2tog *repeat until the end of the row
Row 71: *K1, K2Tog *repeat until the end of the row
Row 72: *K2Tog *repeat until the end of the row
Cut a long tail and weave through remaining stitches, pull tight and weave in ends.
I would love to see what you all create! So, don’t forget to tag @thenorthernmoose on Instagram with your finished designs!
This pattern is an original pattern by Meg Hardison of The Northern Moose. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. Please do not reprint this pattern on your site. You may keep a copy of the pattern for your own personal use, but please do not sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me Meg Hardison and link back to The Northern Moose Blog. Permission is not granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you for being respectful and for your understanding!